Badge – Queen of the Waves
1 in stock
Measures 2.5cm x 2.5cm. Makers mark on back reads: Millers Ltd, Sydney. Probably circa 1950-1960’s.
The Queen of the Harbour, originally known as the Queen of the Waves, is one of the most important events to the Australian 18 Footers League Club, based at Double Bay. The League was formed in 1935 and by 1936 inaugurated a competition to raise funds for the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, Camperdown, Sydney.
To achieve their goal, a decision was made in 1937 to stage a Queen of the Waves competition each year. Proceeds from the competition would be used to build a school at the hospital to have crippled children transported from their homes to the hospital, receive treatment and education and then be taken back home each day. More than $6,000 was raised. From 1937 – 1972 just under $65,000 had been raised. The club continues to this day.