Australian Florin 1927
Australian Florin commemorative coin, released for the opening of the (old) Parliament House in 1927. Two million were minted. 92.5% (sterling) silver. Arguably one of the prettiest Australian coins ever minted. It was also Australia’s first ever commemorative coin. Florin measures 28.5mm diameter.
Parliament House building was officially opened on 9th May, 1927 by the Duke & Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. Temporary stands were erected bordering the lawns and these were filled with crowds. Dame Nellie Melba sang the National Anthem of God Save the King. The Duke of York unlocked the front doors with a golden key and led the official party into King’s Hall where he unveiled a statue of his father King George V. The Duke then opened the first parliamentary session in the new Senate Chamber. The opening was broadcast to more than one million people via radio stations in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria & South Australia.